I had purchased some Model Motoring II Willys Gassers that were blems a while back. I thought I could use them in some projects. As luck would have it, I was crusing the webbernet and I found some race pictures on the ECHORR website featuring the "Willy's Extravanganza". Apparently you could modify a Willy's body much like the Dirt Modifieds in the 50's and 60's. Then run the car on a Fray Chassis. I thought this was pretty cool so I decided to try one for myself.
I had a lot of material to remove since a good bit of the fenders had to be removed. So now the question was how to remove all that material and still have symmetrical and smooth lines when finished. What I came up with, was to use some 5 mm masking tape and tape the lines like I wanted. Then spray paint the car, let dry, remove the tape and you have your lines straight and symmetrical. Then all you have to do is remove all the material up to the gray paint line.
I then made rough cuts with my Dremel motor tool.
After the rough cuts were made I then used my files to do the fine work removing material up to where the green meets the gray. Once that was completed I removed all the paint and finished up with sanding and polishing.
Now it was time to add the side pipes, bumpers, roll bars, and wire to my dirt modified. Some styrene and rod, a little bending, drilling, and gluing and there you have it.
Next I gave it a two tone paint job.
Then I added the decals and clear coated the body.
And there you have it... one Bo's Willys dirt modified!