Well I saw the picture to the right and thought it would be a fun build.So I started with a Dash hot rod body, a Dremel motor tool and some styrene. You can read about that here. While I was building the Rat Rod I started thinking of the different versions I could build. I couldn't come to a decision so I said why not do them all. That leads me to resin casting the Rat Rod.
I have recently modeled a Salt Flats Lake racer from a hot rod body. You can read about that here. Towards the end of that project I decided to build some IROC racers by resin casting the racer.
I started with a Dash Avanti body. I have never cared for the look of that car. I got to thinking how I could modify it and give it a better presentation. After some thought and consideration I thought it may look better as a dirt modified racer. I worked on the modifications smoothed, sanded, polished and clear coated the mold master.
I have been continuing my journey of casting slot car bodies and being able to create a quality body on a consistent basis. So I started looking into pressure casting the bodies. Again it has been a learning experience but for me I am able to produce a better body
The problem I was having was with air bubbles. Apparently there are two trains of thought on how to remove or reduce air bubbles in resin casting. One is to remove the bubbles using a vacuum; the other is to make the bubbles so small you cannot see them with the naked eye by using pressure. I chose the second. In the picture to the right you can see the results of what I am talking about. The body on the left is the result of a non-pressure casting. Notice the bubbles within the circles. The body on the right is the result of a pressure casing. That casting is considerably more solid especially if you look at the bodies with a light behind it. (Sorry could not show you that… did not have enough hands to take the picture)